Chief Bridesmaid Duties
By April Van Woerden
Posted on April 30 2015
Chief Bridesmaid Duties
Well, your BFF just said 'yes'. (YAY!) And she just asked you to be in the bridal party. (YAY, again!) So what exactly does this mean for you? Let's talk about what it means to be a bridesmaid—what are your chief duties and what do you need to know?
Well, let's be frank—the list ain't short but it's going to be a blast!
- Planning the Bridal Shower
- Planning the Stagette
- Help the bride find her dress, the bridesmaid dresses, & basically plan the wedding, if (note, IF) she wants your help.
- Attend Rehearsal & Rehearsal Dinner
- If you’re the Maid of Honour (also sometimes known as the Chief Bridesmaid), you may be asked to give a toast at the rehearsal dinner.
- Plan bride & bridesmaid brunch
- Get ready with the bride & maids
- Make sure that the bride & maids are thoroughly fed & hydrated
BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR THE CEREMONY
- Carry tissue
- If the bride doesn’t have her own clutch, carry any makeup, deodorant, lip gloss, etc., that the bride might want throughout the wedding day.
- Don’t forget the bouquets, marriage certificate, written vows, and rings!
- Help her with placement of her dress & veil before y’all walk down the aisle.
- Fix her dress once she reaches the front, to ensure it looks picture-perfect for photos.
- Help with lifting her veil, if necessary.
- Maid of Honour holds bride’s bouquet during ceremony.
- Maid of Honour signs the registry.
- Make sure the bride is happy all night long!
- Help the bride primp & polish throughout the night.
- Help the bride use the washroom.
- Be the bride’s liaison—diffuse &/ fix any & every situation that comes to your attention. (& the best of bridesmaids will fix the problems before the bride even gets wind of them!)
- If you’re the Maid of Honour, you’ll likely be giving a toast &/ speech to the Bride & Groom.
-Dance! Be the first one on the floor & the last one off—ensure that the party happens!
- Decorate the getaway car &/ the honeymoon suite—remember, only sweet & romantic gestures, this is NOT the time for jokes.
- Between the bridal party & the parents (& hopefully a hired wedding takedown crew!) ensure that the gifts, cards, and anything sentimental is cared for & delivered to wherever it is meant to be. And make sure the venue is cleared & any loose ends with vendors are tied up.