Wedding Trends | 2016
By April Van Woerden
Posted on February 07 2016
It's 2016, the wedding season is swiftly approaching, & we are thrilled for the gorgeousness that is in store.
First, let's establish that there are SO many directions you can go with planning your wedding—and they are pretty much all perfection. Whatever your personal vibrations are leading you towards, that is probably the direction you ought to go. Trust us. You will be happiest, looking back at the most cherished (& most expensive!) day of your life, when the photos reflect your personal style.
And yet, we cannot help but look at current trends and find a common ground with classic tastes—and lay out what we think are the loveliest trends of 2016. So let's get to it. Let's talk wedding trends for 2016.
1. The Classic and the Polished. In keeping with the wedding trends of 2015, brides are ready to revive the elegant and grand weddings of the '90s (e.g., Father of the Bride). While recent years have seen brides go crazy for shabby chic, rustic, and eclectically bright weddings—2016 will continue to see a renaissance of soft colour palettes, black-tie affairs, and cocktail hours. Expect to see champagne & decadent hors d'oeuvres served on silver platters, lush floral arrangements on every table, grooms in black tuxedos, brides in classically-romantic gowns, & all set to the backdrop of a French Château.
2. Moody & Romantic. Whatever your favourite colour, we implore you to consider a moody, romantic palette. There is nothing quite so striking as an ivory dress & an ivory château set to the to romancing tones of a moody colour palette. For a little more inspiration (& convincing!) see our winter wedding, autumn wedding, & Valentine's Day wedding inspiration, set to moody-vibes.
3. Floral Trends. Floral arrangements will be grand, romantic, and dainty. We haven't seen the last of peonies, dahlias, garden roses, ranunculus, and hydrangea (thankfully!). However, expect to see these full, amorous florals off-set by dainty, feminine flowers, such as hellebores, dogwood, clematis, sweet pea, lily of the valley, and anemones.
4. The Dress. Dress trends will be reminiscent of classic styles, with delicate lace sleeves, non-strapless necklines, and timeless silhouettes. While classic tastes are making a resurgence, modern dynamics will take centre stage, with the like of, geometric, cutout-style lace panels (see below), sequin full-length capes (also, see below), and neck-high, romantic textures (see above). Get ready for the wedding dresses of 2016 to make a statement & steal the show.
5. The Hair. Hair is a very personal thing. As the bride, you really must choose a style that suits you, style-wise & looks-wise. Likewise, you must choose something that you love. Too often, wedding hair is overlooked & given the back stage left. Brides often opt for a simple wave, a simple half-updo, or a simple updo with a hair accessory (which, don't get us wrong, are all lovely). And while we are serious fans of hair accessories, we think a bride has the perfect event (her wedding!) to go all out, style-wise, with her hair. In 2016, expect to see more of sophisticated, show-stopping dos, such as the French roll, the chignon, the braided crown, and the top bun.
6. The Accessories. To iterate an all too well known saying: less is more. Fine & delicate accessories are on trend. When shopping sashes & belts, consider thinner styles, as well as the traditional styles. You might be surprised by how very lovely & very bridal a petite sash or thin sash looks! Likewise, delicate vine-like hair accessories are growing in popularity amongst brides. Whatever you decide, remember that trends are great—but it will be your personal style that will steal the show & will ultimately make you happiest looking back at your wedding day!
Our favourite D&C pieces for 2016:
Looking for a little more wedding inspiration? Check us out on Pinterest!