Signature cocktails, spring edition!
By Megan Jenkins
Posted on March 16 2018
Spring is here (almost)! That means it's time for our seasonal favourite cocktail roundup. What follows are cocktails for every skill level, every budget, and every springtime style, from laid back to just the right amount of extra. For spring we look to natural flavours like berries and herbs; we like something a little sweet and a little snappy, but a lot light following all of that nog in the winter. Let's get into it!
PRICKLY PEAR MARGARITA
- 3 cups silver tequila
- 1 1/2 cups Cointreau
- 1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup prickly pear simple syrup
- crushed ice
- 12 lime wedges
- coarse salt for rimming the glass, optional
1. Mix tequila, cointreau, lime juice, and syrup together in a pitcher.
2. Pour salt onto a plate, wet the rim of your glass with a lime wedge, and dip the glass in the salt. Coat the rim to your liking, either halfway or entirely around the glass. You can also use sugar if you prefer more sweetness, or leave it off completely.
3. When ready to serve, fill each glass with crushed ice, pour in the margarita mix, and garnish with a lime wedge.
THE PALOMA COCKTAIL
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/2 ounce agave syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces seasonal grapefruit juice
- 2 ounces blanco tequila
- *club soda
1. Combine all ingredients *(except club soda) in a shaking tin.
2. Shake and strain into a salt-rimmed collins glass and top with club soda.
3. Garnish with a wedge of lime. If you’re like us and want to choose a variety of grapefruits, you’ll get a pretty cool ombré effect of cocktails like we did here. But if you’re set on one flavor, it’ll be just as delicious!
Watermelon and Honeydew Sangria by Sugar and Charm.
WATERMELON & HONEYDEW SANGRIA RECIPE
- 12 cups watermelon, cubed
- 5 cups honeydew, cubed
- 15 strawberries sliced
- 1 lemon sliced
- 2 limes sliced
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 1 cup gin or vodka
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur
- 4 cups ginger ale
- Handful mint leaves
- Chop and slice all of the fruit and set aside.
- In a blender combine 9 cups watermelon cubes and 4 cups honeydew and blend with a splash gin until it becomes a liquid.
- Place the other 3 cups watermelon cubes and 1 cup honeydew cubes in the freezer to make fruit cubes to add to the sangria later.
- Using a mesh strainer or a sieve, strain the watermelon and honeydew juice over a pitcher. You can strain twice if it's still too thick.
- Add in the wine, orange liqueur and the rest of the sliced fruit.
- Stir and then add in the ginger ale.
- Before serving place the frozen watermelon and honeydew cubes in the sangria as well as some ice to water it down a bit.
- Serve with fresh mint and enjoy!
Elderflower Gin and Tonics by Craft and Cocktails.
ELDERFLOWER GIN AND TONICS
- 2 oz St. George Botanivore Gin
- 6 oz Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic
- 2 pink grapefruit slices
- a few juniper berries
- rosemary sprig
1. Chill the drinking glass for a half hour. Add ice to the glass.
2. Squeeze one slice of grapefruit into the glass and discard.
3. Add the other grapefruit slice, the juniper berries, and rosemary sprig to the glass.
4. Pour gin into the glass. Add the tonic and stir before drinking.
Grapefruit Cardamom Fizz by the Modern Proper.
GRAPEFRUIT CARDAMOM FIZZ
INFUSED GIN AND ROSEMARY SYRUP
- 1 cup gin
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 rosemary springs
- 2 oz rosemary syrup
- 3 oz infused gin
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
- splash of prosecco
- rosemary springs
- In a small jar with an airtight lid add gin and cardamom pods. Seal and store for 24 hours.
- In a small saucepan bring sugar, water and 2 rosemary sprigs to a simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Remove the rosemary and use right away, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- To make the cocktail add rosemary syrup, infused gin and grapefruit juice over ice in a cocktail mixer and stir. Using a strainer, divide the mixture in two and pour directly into glasses filled with fresh ice. Top with prosecco and garnish with a sprig of rosemary and a grapefruit peel. Cheers!
What do you think? Which of these beauties might be your favourite? We're a real sucker for anything with bubbly, so the Modern Proper might have us there...
Check out more cocktail ideas on our Pinterest board! We love to round up our favourite cocktails of the season from brilliant minds and chefs like those above. These are some talented folks, be sure to check out their websites!